When you buy a new fridge, laptop computer or television, it comes with a statutory warranty. This warranty provides for the repair or replacement of your appliance or device if it gets lost or damaged, for two years after purchase. But what if your fridge suddenly packs up after those two years? That's when an extended warranty policy offers comfort. On top of the statutory two years, this insurance gives a further two years' warranty on your newly purchased appliance or device.
What is extended warranty?
Who is insured for what?
- Small and large household appliances (fridge, washing machine, iron, vacuum cleaner, etc.)
- Audio equipment and televisions (TV, DVD player, GPS devices, CD player, etc.)
- DIY equipment (drill, pressure washer, electric sander, etc.)
If you have a KBC Platinum Credit Card, then you also benefit from an extended warranty policy on computer products
- Laptop computer
- Computer screen
If you want to find out whether your most recent purchase is covered by the extended warranty insurance, check this list of insured goods. If your appliance or device is not on the list, it isn't covered.
It is insured, but what are the conditions?
What should you watch out for if your appliance or device is damaged and you want to claim under the extended warranty insurance?
- Your purchase must have been paid for in full using the KBC Brussels credit card to which the insurance policy is linked
- Your purchase must be for at least 50 euros
- When you report the claim for loss of or damage to your appliance or device, you must be in possession of your KBC Brussels credit card
- The damage to your appliance or device must have an internal cause
- Keep the till receipt or invoice for your purchase in a safe place, because you must be able to present it in the case of a claim
- You must also be able to present your credit card bill or monthly statement
You can submit a claim under the insurance as long as your credit card is active, you have paid the card fee and you have signed up to this insurance. Signing up is free of charge. The insurance ends automatically when the contract between KBC Bank NV and the insurer is cancelled.
What exactly is reimbursed?
If your appliance or device is damaged and covered by the extended warranty insurance, then the repair costs will be reimbursed. If those costs exceed the amount that you would have to pay for a completely new appliance or device, then you will receive an amount for a new appliance or device so that you can replace the damaged goods.
What is not reimbursed?
The main risks that are not covered are
- Deliberate damage caused by the insured person or members of their household
- The loss or inexplicable disappearance of the insured item
- Damage during transportation
- Ordinary wear and tear
- Aesthetic damage (scratches, dents.), etc.
The main goods that are not covered are
- Money, foreign currency, travellers' cheques and trading securities
- Mobile phones
- Second-hand or used goods
- Jewellery, watches, furs and works of art
The conditions of cover are available at any KBC Brussels bank branch or at www.kbcbrussels.be/platinum. The applicable general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.
Good to know
- The insurer is London General Insurance Company Ltd., with its offices in Twenty Kingston Road, Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, TW18 4LG, United Kingdom, licensed under code 987 to provide insurance services for covering financial losses (class 16) via its branch office in Belgium, located at Steenpoeldreef 11, 1850 Grimbergen.
- The administrator is TWG Services Ltd., with its offices in Twenty Kingston Road, Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey, TW18 4LG, United Kingdom, supervised by the British Financial Conduct Authority and registered under number 312440, with a branch in the Netherlands, conducting business there under the name The Warranty Group Europe, the Netherlands, with its offices at Paasheuvelweg 1, 1105 BE Amsterdam, conducting business in Belgium within the framework for the free provision of services, and authorised to act as an insurance intermediary, acting in this regard as administrator for account of London General Insurance Company Ltd.
- Your KBC Brussels bank branch is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have about this advertisement. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 0800 62 084 (free of charge) or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman, which serves the whole industry, De Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, e-mail email@example.com.
- If you have any complaints concerning this insurance, you can address them to the Management, London General Insurance Company limited, c/o The Warranty Group Europe, Uitbreidingstraat 84, 2600 Berchem, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. If no satisfactory solution can be reached with the insurer, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry's ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, email@example.com, www.ombudsman.as.
- This agreement is governed by the laws of Belgium.
- This insurance is a class 16 product (financial loss insurance).
This insurance is linked to the following credit cards
Gold Mastercard with travel cancellation insurance
Save and invest on your phone
- Start saving (for later)
- Get personal investment advice
- Bank from the comfort of home