Insurance for your scooter or speed pedelec

Insurance for your scooter or speed pedelec

  • Take out just the compulsory cover or go for more security with add-on cover
  • Add our breakdown assistance option for a reliable breakdown rescue service in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg
  • File claims using our app, wherever you are
Make an appointment for your moped insurance

Compulsory third-party liability insurance

If you ride a scooter, speed pedelec or class A or class B moped on public roads, by law, you must have third-party insurance.

This compulsory insurance policy covers the harm you cause to others with your moped if you cause an accident, such as personal injury and damage to other vehicles or buildings.


  • Harm you cause to others with your moped, including property damage (bodywork, buildings) and bodily damage (i.e. deaths or injuries)
  • If a vulnerable road user is injured in an accident involving your moped, we'll pay compensation for those injuries even if you weren't at fault

Not covered

  • Damage to your own moped
  • Bodily injury that you as the rider sustain in a road traffic accident
  • Damage caused whilst taking part in a competition

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Optional: extend the cover on your KBC Vehicle Insurance for Mopeds

If you're after more security, extend your third-party liability insurance cover by adding a number of options. You are not under any legal requirement to do so, but it could end up saving you a lot of money.

1. Legal assistance: expert advice and legal assistance if you’re involved in a claim

This additional legal assistance cover comes in useful in a wide range of situations, including if

  • You get into a disagreement with the authorities about registering your vehicle
  • You require criminal defence when facing prosecution for a road traffic offence such as speeding or running a red light
  • You become involved in a dispute with the company repairing your scooter, speed pedelec or moped

In these cases, legal support and assistance are no luxury. We always try for an out-of-court settlement. If that doesn't work, KBC Brussels will recommend a lawyer to represent you in court. You can also instruct counsel of your own choice. We will pay up to 100,000 euros to cover the costs of the court proceedings.


  • If the other party caused you harm, we'll help you claim damages
  • Legal assistance for contract disputes, such as when buying your moped or getting it repaired
  • Legal help in disputes with government agencies in connection with matters such as registering your vehicle, revocation of your driving licence and periodic inspections
  • Criminal defence when facing prosecution for road traffic offences such as speeding or riding your moped under the influence

Not covered

  • Fines and out-of-court settlements
  • Disputes arising from the paid transport of persons or goods
  • Disputes arising from taking part in competitions or wilful conduct constituting an offence
  • Disputes further to renting a moped or renting yours out

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

2. Fire and theft insurance

This insurance also covers your vehicle against damage due to theft, attempted theft and fire. In the event of a total loss, we will reimburse the price you paid for the vehicle, up to 12 months after the purchase date.


  • Damage caused by fire, explosion or fire-extinguishing activities
  • Melting damage as a result of a short circuit
  • Theft and attempted theft
  • Damage to your moped as a result of an accident or vandalism whilst it was stolen
  • We pay up to 750 euros towards the cost of towing and repatriating the moped and rider(s)

Not covered

  • Damage to your own moped caused by a traffic accident
  • Theft if your moped is stolen while unlocked in a public place
  • Damage caused by wear and tear or lack of maintenance
  • Damage you cause intentionally
  • Injury you sustain as a rider

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

3. Assistance insurance: breakdown rescue service and roadside assistance

With KBC VAB Assistance, you can count on receiving roadside assistance for your moped and a reliable breakdown rescue service in Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, and within an area of 15 km across the Belgian-German and the Belgian-French border.


  • If your moped cannot be ridden as a result of an accident or because it breaks down, we'll provide breakdown assistance or arrange to have the moped towed away

Not covered

  • Participation in sporting and training activities for payment or profit
  • Damage you cause intentionally
  • KBC Brussels does not pay for any repairs, just costs for towing and for shipping replacement parts, etc.

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

4. Accident insurance: cover specially for riders
Insurance for your moped or scooter

Did you know that riders aren’t covered for bodily injuries they sustain in accidents they cause? Compulsory third-party liability insurance only covers the damage you cause to others. This is where our driver accident insurance can help. If you sustain injuries in an accident you caused, we will cover your medical expenses.


  • Medical care following an accident
  • Costs for suitable transport if you need to be taken to hospital for medical treatment
  • Compensation for permanent injury
  • Financial support for your surviving dependants and reimbursement of funeral expenses should you die

We will pay compensation even if you caused the accident.

Not covered

  • Industrial accidents
  • Accidents caused intentionally or due to serious error
  • Participation in, and training for, speed races, time-speed distance (TSD) rallies and skills-based competitions
  • Accidents you cause under the influence of alcohol (more than 0.15%) or in a similar condition due to the use of substances other than alcohol

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

What insurance should you take out for a speed pedelec?

You can take out bicycle insurance or moped insurance for your electric bicycle or speed pedelec. The cover you need depends on the type of bicycle you have.

When do you need bicycle insurance?

  • Your bicycle can run autonomously on an auxiliary engine (without you pedalling) and has a maximum speed of 25 km/h,
  • Your bicycle is pedal-assisted (it cannot move without being pedalled) and has a maximum speed of 45 km/h

→ See more on bicycle insurance

When do you need moped insurance?

If your speed pedelec can run autonomously on an auxiliary engine (without you pedalling) and has a maximum speed of 45 km/h, you must take out third-party liability insurance for vehicles (moped insurance).

→ Make an appointment now for moped insurance

Good to know

  • KBC Vehicle Insurance for Mopeds may include one or more of the above forms of cover. The type of insurance can be deduced from the name of the insurance.
  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • Insurance cover under this policy is valid for a term of one year and tacitly renews, unless it is terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, %%complaints%%. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels,, This does not affect your legal rights.

To request a quote for KBC Vehicle Insurance for Mopeds, contact an insurance expert in one of our branches. Make an appointment now for moped insurance.

KBC Vehicle Insurance for Mopeds is a product from KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC group

Your intermediary: KBC Brussels, part of KBC Bank NV – Havenlaan 2 – 1080 Brussels – Belgium
VAT BE 0462.920.226 – RLP Brussels – IBAN BE98 7300 0000 0083 – BIC KREDBEBB – FSMA 026256 A, tied agent of KBC Insurance NV
Member of the KBC Group

Read this information carefully before taking out this insurance

Wondering how much it will cost to take out moped insurance?

Make an appointment for your moped insurance