Home insurance for your first home (main residence)
Home insurance for your second home
What's covered by home insurance?
Your home (house, apartment or student accommodation) and any outbuildings (like a garage), plus contents are covered for fire damage. It also covers all sorts of other unforeseen damage or loss like water and storm damage or theft of your home's contents.
Is home insurance a legal requirement?
Owners don't have to have it. Tenants' legal obligations differ depending on the region. In Flanders, tenants have been under a legal duty to take out property insurance since 1 January 2019. Wallonia made tenant's insurance compulsory on 1 September of this year. Brussels has not yet officially gone that far.
But you should never be without it, because it's not just there for you in case of fire.
It's a vital overall safeguard for the building you live in, and for the home you make in it.
Your benefits at KBC Brussels
Our handy simulator lets you work out the price of your home insurance in just a few steps. The price you're given is always all-in, without any hidden costs.
You can take out cover online straightaway, without having to go to your branch, even if you’re not with us yet. Then you'll already be insured the day after. Don't need coverage straightaway? Simply pick a different starting date.
Want to pay your premium yearly, or find it easier to pay monthly, without extra cost? That's up to you, too.
If your home incurs damage we insure, there's no need to look for your tools or call on an odd-jobber.
Our KBC Home Repair service is included in your home insurance. We'll look for the right repairer in your neighbourhood, arrange the works to suit you and pay the bill.
So, you don't have to lift a finger; just leave the repairs to an expert with a peace of mind.
If you know a repairer or want to fix the damage yourself, you can opt for compensation.
With us, you're not on your own when it comes to claiming. We let you easily file claims online with KBC Brussels Mobile and KBC Brussels Touch, plus there's always a KBC Brussels insurance agent in your neighbourhood who will also be happy to help you with your claim. Get our help, as well, if you've applied for insurance online.
When you work and take out insurance with us online, we show you a list of our insurance agents in your area so you can select your own contact.
But at KBC Brussels, we make things easy for you. When you take out a new policy with us online, we'll immediately show you a form for cancelling your old insurance. All you need to do is to complete the form and send it back to us. We’ll take care of the rest.
You don't even need to send a registered letter to your old insurer.
Fully covered with our all-risks home insurance
Home insurance policies differ a lot in what they cover. This explains (sometimes big) differences in price.
At KBC Brussels, we offer comprehensive cover (= all-risk insurance) at a competitive price, giving you very extensive protection.
Your buildings, outbuildings and their contents are insured against practically all risks, provided that your claim exceeds 1 250 euros. There are a few exceptions given in our general conditions. If your claim is less, you'll be covered only for the insured claim events listed, such as fire, storm, water, vandalism or theft.
What is covered?
For tenants and owners
- Fire or explosion damage
- Water damage
- Storm, hail or lightning damage (like lightning destroying electric appliances or a storm or heavy winds damaging your garden furniture)
- Natural disasters such as floods and earthquakes
- Damage caused by a collision
- Vandalism or (attempted) theft in your home or even objects outside your home, such as your electric bike parked in your driveway
- Pets (insured everywhere)
Specifically for tenants
- Damage to fixtures or improvements you made to the home as a tenant, at your own expense (like when your garden shed is damaged during a storm)
Specifically for landlords
Third-party liability for loss or damage to your tenant, if caused by:
- the building, the grounds, any adjacent footpaths, the garage (also if it is located elsewhere or you are renting it) or their contents
- odd jobs done at the property you rent out
- We insure your baggage in the holiday home you rent or in your hotel room
- Your pets are also insured worldwide wherever you travel
What is not covered?
Specifically for tenants
- Typical rental damage, such as wall plugs or scale on sanitary fittings
- Damage caused by pets
- Loss or deliberate damage
- Damage caused by:
- Instability of the sub-surfaces of structures built less than two years ago, or of terraces and driveways
- Groundwater or precipitation that has seeped inside due to your cellars or exterior walls not being waterproof
- Correction of construction flaws
- Theft of or from a vehicle that is parked elsewhere than at the address which is insured
Note that our all-risks cover for the contents does not apply to unique objects such as antiques and artwork. We recommend our specific ‘Valuables’ cover for this purpose. For further information, please contact your Insurance Expert.
This list is not exhaustive. See our product fact sheets below for full details of what is and isn't covered.
Good to know
The KBC Home Insurance is a property insurance policy.
- This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
- Insurance cover under this policy is valid for a term of one year and tacitly renews, unless it is terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
- Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management: Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. 016 43 25 94 or + 32 78 15 20 45 (charges apply), fax + 32 16 86 30 38. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, email@example.com, www.ombudsman.as. This does not affect your legal rights.
Contact your Insurance Expert or visit our website to request a quotation for the KBC Home Insurance.
The KBC Home Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, De Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC Group
For a concise description of the cover, the most important exclusions and other useful information, please refer to the product fact sheet
KBC Home Insurance is a KBC Insurance product. Don’t forget to read the information document at www.kbcbrussels.be/home-insurance before taking out the insurance.
This product is governed by the laws of Belgium. The insurance applies for a year and renews automatically unless you cancel it no later than three months before the principal renewal date. Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please send an e-mail to KBC Complaints Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 016 43 25 94. You can also contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: email@example.com, www.ombudsman-insurance.be. This does not affect your legal rights.
You are covered for the risks listed in the General Conditions. Some examples: damage caused by fire, storm, water and collision. Not covered: loss, deliberate damage, flooding, etc. The full list of exclusions can be found in the General Conditions.
Visit our website or contact one of our insurance experts to request a quotation for KBC Home Insurance. KBC Home Insurance is a product offered by KBC Insurance NV, a Belgian insurance company.