Home Insurance for second-home tenants

  • See what home insurance with us will cost you now in just 3 steps
  • Take out your property insurance immediately online
  • File insurance claims using our app or by contacting your insurance agent
Calculate your price now

Rental tip: get two months’ free home insurance now

If you’re a tenant and take out home insurance online before 31 October, enter the discount code RENT2024 at the start of your application and get two months’ cover for free during the first year.

Is property insurance compulsory?

No, Home Insurance is not compulsory by law. If you are a tenant, we recommend that you purchase tenant’s liability and home contents insurance, so as to avoid having to cover these costs yourself. If you decide to purchase Home Insurance, the insurer is required by law to cover a minimum number of risks, including, fire, storm, hail and natural disasters.

When you purchase Home Insurance, you often have a number of options to choose from, so it is important that you state which types of cover you require. If, for example, you require legal assistance in disputes with your landlord, you can extend your cover to include 'Legal assistance insurance for tenants'.

Looking to insure your first rented home?

Be sure to check out KBC Home insurance for tenants.

What does property insurance cover?

Property insurance covers far more than fire damage alone.
This insurance covers your liability, your home contents or both for the home you rent.

  1. Tenant’s insurance
  2. Home contents insurance

Based on your personal requirements, you can extend your policy by adding the following types of cover: theft insurance for home contentslegal assistance during disputes with the landlord (legal assistance) or contamination caused by leaks in your fuel oil tank (soil decontamination).

1. Tenant’s insurance

If you opt for this insurance, you are covered against damage to the rented home for which you are responsible.

What is insured?

  • The home, annexes and fences
  • Rented garage (even if it is located elsewhere)
  • Property or items permanently attached to the building

If you sublet a section of the home, the subtenant is included in the cover.


What is not insured?

  • Additional obligations in your lease which exceed the legal liability
  • Deliberate destruction or theft of goods by you or members of your household
  • Typical rental damage (such as wall plugs)

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Good to know

Your third-party liability for loss or damage caused in, around or on the building, the grounds, any adjacent footpaths or their contents is not covered under this policy. This cover is provided under your family insurance.

What is third-party liability insurance (BA)?

Questions about your Home Insurance?

Don’t hesitate to contact our Insurance Expert via KBC Brussels Live or schedule an appointment with your bank branch or insurance agent.

See what it costs you

2. Home Contents Insurance

Your home may be well insured, but what about its contents?

What if …

  • A tree falls on top of your garden furniture due to heavy winds?
  • Lightning destroys your washing machine?
  • A fire breaks out?

If you opt for this insurance, the contents of your home is covered, except against theft.

What is insured?

Damage caused by, for example, fire, explosion, storm, hail, lightning, water, collision or flooding to your

  • Home contents: furniture, clothing, bicycles, jewellery, television sets, etc.
  • Pets
  • Motor vehicles and their trailers

And we take it a step further: your home's contents is also covered against all types of loss and damage, on condition that you did not expect said event to occur and that the loss or damage amounts to at least 1 250 euros.

What is not insured?

  • Loss, Theft
  • Deliberate damage
  • Damage caused by flooding or by the overflowing of public sewers to items outside the home

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general conditions.

Where are your home contents insured?

  • At your home address
  • In your individual garage, even if this is located elsewhere

Your pets are insured everywhere.


Legal assistance insurance for tenants

What if …

  • Your landlord refuses to repair the roof?
  • Or wrongly accuses you of having damaged the doors?

In these cases, this insurance covers legal assistance and support.

If you become involved in a legal dispute relating to the home you are renting, we engage the services of Defendo, KBC’s legal assistance department. They are an independent and specialised team, who guarantee honest advice and the confidential handling of your file.

What will Defendo do for you?

  • Provide you with assistance
  • Inform you of your rights and how you can enforce them
  • Help you to gather all the information you need (including evidence, certificates and witness statements)
  • Cover the fees and charges of lawyers, court bailiffs and various experts
  • Cover the costs of the court or out-of-court proceedings
  • Cover the loss you suffer if it turns out the liable party is unable to pay

What is insured?

Legal assistance if you become involved in a dispute with your landlord regarding

  • The safety and liveability of the home
  • The repayment of costs caused by a defect in the home

If you incur loss and/or damage, Defendo will assist you in order to ensure you are adequately compensated. If you are suspected of a crime, Defendo will ensure that you receive the appropriate legal support from a criminal defence lawyer. This applies if you are a suspect and also if you are entitled to consult a lawyer.

What is not insured?

  • Fines or municipal administrative sanctions, charges or out-of-court settlements
  • If the loss is related to the performance of a contract, Defendo will not become involved in the actual content of the contract, for example, discussions about price or quality
  • In order to avoid conflicts of interests, Defendo does not handle any disputes involving you and another insured person
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Soil decontamination insurance (not for flats)

If you use fuel oil to heat your home, you are personally responsible for checking the tank on a regular basis and for soil decontamination following contamination.

More than 3% of tanks start leaking at some point, often caused by rust. However, contamination may also occur while refilling the tank. You will also be responsible for covering the cost of the soil decontamination, i.e. the process of cleaning the contaminated land.

Only fuel oil tanks built less than 40 years ago and with a maximum capacity of 20 000 litres are eligible.

The total compensation per claim is 60 000 euros.

What is insured?

We cover the risk as well as the practical organisation of the compulsory soil decontamination.

We send an assessor to

  • Determine the nature and seriousness of the contamination
  • Take measures to limit the consequences
  • Inform you of the statutory procedures relating to soil contamination
  • Help you with any formalities to be completed

We arrange to have decontamination works carried out if the contamination is so serious that you are required by law to have the soil decontaminated.

What is not insured?

  • Contamination that already existed when the cover was taken out
  • Costs borne by the government or another body for the decontamination of contaminated soil
  • The possible reduction in value of the contaminated soil
  • Pollution and contamination caused by natural disasters
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Switch to insuring your home at KBC Brussels with ease

But at KBC Brussels, we make things easy for you. When you take out a new policy with us online, we'll immediately show you a form for cancelling your old insurance. All you need to do is to complete the form and send it back to us. We’ll take care of the rest.

You don't even need to send a registered letter to your old insurer.

See what it costs you

Good to know

KBC Home insurance for tenants - second residence may include one or more of the following types of cover: tenant’s insurance, home contents insurance, soil decontamination insurance (home insurance) and legal assistance insurance for tenants (legal assistance insurance). These forms of insurance cover are designed for tenants of private homes who use the home as a second home. No commercial activity or liberal profession is carried out in the insured home.

·         This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.

  • The different forms of cover in this policy apply for a term of one year and will be tacitly renewed, unless the policy is terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, complaints@kbc.be, tel. 016 43 25 94. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, info@ombudsman-insurance.be, www.ombudsman-insurance.be. This does not affect your legal rights.

Contact your insurance expert or visit our website to request a quotation for KBC Home insurance for tenants - second residence.

KBC Home insurance for tenants - second residence is a product provided by KBC Insurance NV, Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2, 3000 Leuven, Belgium.

VAT BE 0403.552.563, RLP Leuven, IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601, BIC KREDBEBB.

Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979).

Member of the KBC group

Read this information carefully before taking out this insurance