Going on holiday is one of the highlights of the year. But what if you have to cancel your trip or cut it short half way through? At that moment you'll have already booked your flights and accommodation.
You can recoup some of your travel expenses thanks to the cancellation insurance linked to your KBC Brussels credit card. That'll help ease the disappointment and, if necessary, you can quickly start looking for something else.
Your cancellation insurance in 7 questions
If you have a KBC Brussels Gold or Platinum Credit Card, be sure to book your trip using a means of payment available to you at KBC Brussels and benefit from the cancellation insurance linked to your credit card. Everything you need to know about this insurance is set out below under seven essential questions.
The following credit cards come with travel cancellation insurance:
- KBC Brussels Gold Credit Card (pictured right)
- KBC Brussels Platinum Credit Card
The KBC Brussels Platinum Credit Card also offers you additional benefits when you're travelling.
Cancellation insurance covers repayment of your travel expenses, such as your holiday home rental and transport to and from your destination.
If you have to return from your holiday early, you’ll receive compensation for the number of days’ holiday you miss.
- Sudden illness, accident or death of the card holder, a family member to the second degree or a person living under the same roof who is a dependent of the card holder for tax purposes or over whom the card holder has custody
- Serious material damage to the card holder's main residence
- Denial of necessary vaccinations for medical reasons not known in advance
- Denial of a visa despite following the correct procedure, when the insured person has not been refused before
An overview of all the reasons for cancellation can be found in the general conditions.
The card holder of a valid KBC Brussels Gold Credit Card or KBC Brussels Platinum Credit Card who:
- Owns an active credit card (the card fee has been paid)
- Has paid for the trip with a means of payment available at KBC Brussels
- Has continuously been in possession of the credit card between the time the trip was booked and when it was cancelled
The partner of the card holder is also covered, as are children under 25 if:
- They are registered as being resident at the same address as the card holder
- Or fall within a system of joint physical custody
The insurance ends automatically when the contract between KBC Bank NV and the insurer is terminated.
You're covered up to a maximum of:
- 10.000 euros (for trips booked using a KBC Brussels Platinum Credit Card)
- 6.000 euros (for trips booked using a KBC Brussels Gold Credit Card)
No deductible applies to this cover.
Note: if your family has multiple credit cards, you can't add the sums insured together.
- Business trips
- The share of people who are not insured in the cost of cancelling the trip or cutting it short
- Costs incurred by the card holder's partner not registered as living at the same address
- Additional costs of an extended stay or repatriation from abroad
- Cancellation or cutting the trip short due to an unstable medical condition or an injury that existed at the time of booking
- Claims resulting from excessive use of alcohol, medication or drugs are not covered either
- Trips without an overnight stay
The conditions of cover are available in any KBC Brussels branch or at www.kbcbrussels.be/gold. The applicable general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.
When submitting a claim, you have to fill in this form and send it to KBC Insurance. Make sure that the dossier is complete. The additional documents to be included with the claim are stated on the claims form, as are handy step-by-step instructions.
Did you know that...
To be covered, all that matters is that you paid for your trip using a means of payment at KBC Brussels:
- a KBC Brussels credit card
- a KBC Brussels Debit Card
- a funds transfer from a KBC Brussels account
- an Omnia travel voucher
- You’re also covered if you pay using a Payconiq app account linked to one of our current accounts at the time you pay
Sometimes you book a trip with friends and it's not totally clear how everything has been paid. And what's the situation with that hotel booking which didn't require you to pay a deposit? These examples give you an idea of how exactly you are covered by this insurance.
1. Travelling with friends
You go away with some friends. One of you pays for all of the flights and accommodation and you (the credit card holder) reimburse your friend for your share of the trip. Are you covered?
Yes. If you reimbursed your friend for your share using a means of payment from KBC, you're covered for your share of the trip if your name is on the travel contract, rental contract or air ticket.
2. Booking a hotel without paying a deposit
You booked a hotel online and received a confirmation e-mail, but you didn't have to pay a deposit. Are you covered?
Yes. Entering into a travel contract and receiving confirmation of this, for example by e-mail, means that you're covered if you have to cancel your trip or cut it short.
Good to know
- Cancellation insurance is offered by KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium. VAT No. BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB. Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979). A KBC Group company
- Belgian law applies to all insurance. This insurance is a class 16 product (financial loss insurance)
- The conditions of cover are available from any KBC Brussels branch or at www.kbcbrussels.be/gold or www.kbcbrussels.be/platinum. The applicable general conditions alone determine your right to compensation from the insurer.
- Complaints? Your intermediary is your first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, you can contact KBC Brussels Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, email@example.com, tel. 016 43 25 94. If this does not result in an appropriate solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman for the entire industry at de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.ombudsman.as. This does not affect your legal rights.
You get cancellation insurance with the following credit cards
Open an account online
Rent a bike fast
- Find a nearby bike rental point on the map
- Select a bike supplier
- Order your day pass
- Pay right from KBC Brussels Mobile