Financial peace of mind for your next of kin
Having loan balance insurance means that KBC Brussels will pay off all or part of the loan amount still outstanding should you die. This ensures that your next of kin won't have to worry about paying it off.
Loan balance insurance is linked to your KBC Brussels loan and follows the loan amount still outstanding. This means you're always insured for the right amount.
Free advance insurance cover
You are covered before you start drawing down the loan and even before the deed of loan has been executed.
What is KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance?
KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance is a class-21 life insurance policy (death cover) that provides financial protection to your next of kin. If you die during the term of your loan, KBC Brussels will pay off all or part of the loan amount still outstanding, ensuring that your next of kin won't have to worry about paying it off themselves.
Always properly insured
KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance is linked to your loan. In other words, it always automatically follows the amount of the loan that is still outstanding, meaning that you're always insured for the correct amount, even if you repay part of the loan early.
Your home loan and loan balance insurance can now be taken out together online
If you apply for your mortgage loan online, you can take out your loan balance insurance and home insurance at the same time. Everything is taken care of there and then, which saves a trip to your branch.
If you already have a loan and want to take out loan balance insurance for it, you won't be able to do that online just yet. Instead, you'll have to arrange it with your insurance expert.
How much does loan balance insurance cost?
- We take account of various criteria when calculating your premium (learn more about segmentation criteria).
- You pay your premium by direct debit on a fixed date every month.
- The premium is recalculated every month on the basis of the then outstanding loan amount. It means you're always insured for the correct amount, even if you repay part of the loan early.
- You pay an insurance tax of 1.1%.
What sum is insured?
The cover percentage for loan balance insurance shows which percentage of the outstanding loan amount is insured. The ideal percentage is 100%, so that your heirs or the other borrowers don't have to repay anything should you die.
Free advance insurance cover
If you sign a provisional contract to buy a property before applying for your loan, you've undertaken – in the eyes of the law – to pay certain sums of money.
Advance insurance cover ensures you are covered before you start drawing down the loan and even before the deed of loan has been executed. The cover applies for a maximum of one year and ends at the latest when the actual insurance cover starts.
The sum insured is the loan amount times the selected cover percentage.
What is not covered?
- Death of the insured by suicide in the first year of the contract (euthanasia according to the legal provisions is, however, not an exclusion)
- Death of the insured as a consequence of an act of violence by the policyholder or the beneficiary
- Death as a consequence of active participation in events of war
Option: work disability cover
If you're no longer able to work owing to illness or an accident and you've taken out optional work disability cover, KBC Brussels will assume all or part of your loan liability while you concentrate on your recovery.
You'll receive a monthly benefit payment based on the loan liability and loan balance insurance premium. The premium for this optional cover is also refunded.
What is not insured?
- Risk situations such as events of war and acts of violence
- Aggravated risks (certain sports) or pre-existing conditions may be excluded
Things you also need to know
- KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance is governed by the laws of Belgium.
- KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance requires medical acceptance.
- The tax treatment may change in the future, and depends on your individual circumstances. Your intermediary will be glad to give you bespoke advice in this respect.
- Term: coincides with the period of the credit facility to which the insurance is linked.
- There is a special solidarity scheme for loan balance insurance that serves as cover for a mortgage loan on the one and only own home. If an increased health risk means that an additional medical premium is charged on the loan balance insurance, and that additional premium exceeds a set minimum threshold, the compensation mechanism ensures that the surplus does not need to be paid by the policyholder but will be borne by the Compensation Fund. The policyholder will not have to expressly ask for compensation from this fund. Instead, the insurance company enforcing this additional medical premium will address the Compensation Fund directly to claim back the surplus. To learn more, contact your KBC Brussels Insurance intermediary or see Assuralia’s website: Legal measures (assuralia.be) (in Dutch)
- Your intermediary is your first point of contact in the case of questions and complaints you may have. If you have any complaints, please contact email@example.com, tel. 016 43 25 94 (free) or 078 15 20 45 (pay number), fax 016 86 30 38. If this does not result in a satisfactory solution, you can contact the Insurance Ombudsman, which acts for the entire industry, at Meeûsplantsoen 35, 1000 Brussels, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.ombudsman.as
However, you always retain the right to initiate legal proceedings.
A special solidarity mechanism applies to the loan balance insurance to cover a mortgage loan if you only own one home. If an increased health risk results in an additional medical premium for the loan balance insurance that exceeds a certain minimum threshold, the compensation mechanism ensures that the surplus will be paid by the Compensation Fund rather than the policyholder. The policyholder does not have to specifically request this contribution from the Compensation Fund. The insurance company enforcing an additional medical premium exceeding the KBC Brussels branches and our KBC Brussels insurance agents.
Contact your KBC Brussels insurance intermediary to request a quotation for KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance.
The KBC Comfort Loan Balance Insurance is a product of KBC Insurance NV – Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2 – 3000 Leuven – Belgium
VAT BE 0403.552.563 – RLP Leuven – IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601 – BIC KREDBEBB
Company authorised for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979; Belgian Official Gazette, 14 July 1979) by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium.
Member of the KBC Group