If someone you know is asking you for financial help through social media, watch out. It could well be scammers at work.
How the scammers operate
- Steal the username and password for someone’s social media account (like their WhatsApp or Messenger credentials)
- Use the victim’s contacts to send a message to their friends or relatives (often their parents) asking to help out financially or make urgently required payments
- Never transfer money requested by social media message, e-mail or text message and call the person who appears to have contacted you to check whether they actually asked you for financial help
- Use two-factor authentication (also known as two-step verification) to securely log into your social media accounts and prevent them from being easily hacked
- If you receive this type of message, report it right away to firstname.lastname@example.org.