Home Insurance for owners

  • Calculate your price now
  • Get your Home Insurance immediately online
  • File insurance claims using our app or by contacting your insurance agent
  • We take care of the repairs from A to Z
See what it costs you

Why choose property or home insurance with KBC Brussels

Home Insurance protects you from the financial risks associated with damage caused to your home, its contents or both by fire, water, natural disasters, etc.

Home Insurance is not compulsory by law. We do recommend that you insure your home and its contents against damage. No fewer than 95% of Belgian homeowners have this type of insurance, making it the most popular type of non-life cover.
If you decide to purchase Home Insurance, the insurer is required by law to cover a minimum number of risks, including, fire, storm, hail and natural disasters. Our property insurance covers far more than just fire damage.

What does our Home Insurance cover?

Our Home Insurance covers your home, its contents or both.

  1. Home Insurance
  2. Home Contents Insurance

Depending on your requirements, you can extend your cover by adding the following types of insurance: 

1. Home Insurance

Your home is insured against all risks

Home Insurance for owners

If you opt for this insurance, your home is covered against all types of loss and/or damage, except for a number of exclusions that are provided in the General Conditions. This ensures that even types of loss and/or damage not taken into account are fully covered.

What is insured?

You are insured against all unexpected damage to

  • The home itself
  • Its terraces, its driveway and its enclosure
  • Any constructions attached to the home

Are you renting out part of your home, or are you renting out your garage? Your tenant is included in the insurance in this case.

If you would you also like to insure an annex such as your garden shed, pool house, detached garage or individual garage located elsewhere, we recommend our ‘detached annexes’ cover.  For owners of a flat, the annexes are automatically insured.

We provide a specific type of cover for swimming pools.

What is not insured?

Damage caused by

  • Surface instability
  • Groundwater or precipitation caused by your cellars or exterior walls not being waterproof
  • Work being carried out on-site
  • Correction of construction flaws

Your third-party liability for loss or damage caused in, around or on the building, the grounds, any adjacent footpaths or their contents is not covered under this policy. This cover is provided under your family insurance.

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

See what it costs you

2. Home Contents Insurance

Your home may be well insured, but what about its contents?

What if …

  • A tree falls on top of your garden furniture due to heavy winds?
  • Your dishwasher is destroyed by lightning strike?
  • Someone steals your laptop or jewellery?

If you opt for this insurance, the contents of your home is covered. The contents will only be insured against theft if you choose to add on theft cover.

What is insured?

  • Damage caused by, for example, fire, explosion, storm, hail, lightning, water, collision, ... to your
    • Home contents: furniture, clothing, bicycles, jewellery, television sets, etc.
    • Pets
    • Motor vehicles and their trailers

And we take it a step further: your home's contents is also covered against all types of loss and damage, on condition that you did not expect said event to occur and that the loss or damage amounts to at least 1 250 euros. If you choose to add on this cover, you will also be protected against any loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft.

What is not insured?

  • Theft and attempted theft
  • Loss
  • Deliberate damage
  • Damage caused by flooding or by the overflowing of public sewers to items outside the home
  • Unique property, such as art objects and antiques. We recommend our specific ‘Valuables’ cover for this purpose. Contact our Insurance Expert.
If you also want to take out insurance that covers theft or attempted theft of your home contents, motor vehicles and their trailers, pets, etc. and items outside your home, you'll need to add on theft cover.

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Where are your home contents insured?

  • At your home address
  • In your individual garage, even if this is located elsewhere or you are renting the garage
  • In a building or part of a building you do not own, and are leasing or using (student residence, retirement or care home, ...)

We insure your luggage in the holiday home you rent or in your hotel room.
Your pets are insured everywhere.

More about KBC Home insurance for owners

Included: We arrange repairs free of charge in case of damage

  • Has your house or apartment been damaged? Call KBC Brussels and we’ll take care of everything to have the damage repaired
  • Free service provided as part of your Home Insurance
  • No need to make any advance payments yourself 

More information: KBC Home Repair

Your intermediary: KBC Brussels, part of KBC Bank NV – Havenlaan 2 – 1080 Brussels – Belgium
VAT BE 0462.920.226 – RLP Brussels – IBAN BE98 7300 0000 0083 – BIC KREDBEBB – FSMA 026256 A, tied agent of KBC Insurance NV
Member of the KBC Group


Included: Additional cover for flat owners with owners' association insurance

If you own a flat and your building is covered under owners’ association insurance (joint insurance for the entire building), we offer you additional cover free of charge when you insure its contents. Within specific limits, you may then claim on this insurance for damage to your home that is not covered under the owners’ association insurance or that exceeds the compensation limits.

Ask your Insurance Expert about the exact terms of this cover.

Included: Easily switch to insuring your property with us

Cancelling a home insurance elsewhere can be a lot of hassle. But at KBC Brussels, we make things easy for you. When you take out a new policy with us online, we'll immediately show you a form for cancelling your old insurance. All you need to do is to complete the form and send it back to us. We’ll take care of the rest.

You don't even need to send a registered letter to your old insurer.

Optional: Theft insurance for home contents

To get the best possible cover, you should insure the contents of your home against theft and attempted theft.


  • Theft or attempted theft of contents (furniture, clothing, bicycles, jewellery, television sets, etc.), motor vehicles and their trailers, pets, etc. in or outside your home
  • Theft or attempted theft involving violence, threats or a break-in while you are on holiday or in a public place

Not covered

  • Theft or attempted theft of or from a vehicle located elsewhere (other than in a locked private garage) or on a public road
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Optional: Garden insurance (not for flats)

Garden Insurance

We cover damage to your garden.

What we consider to be a garden

  • Lawns
  • Trees, shrubs, hedges and any plants in open soil or in pots
  • Ponds, fountains and fish
  • Garden furniture and other movable property decorating your garden

What is insured?

  • Fire, storm, hail, natural disasters
  • Collision
  • Escaped livestock or other domestic animals
  • Spraying damage you did not cause yourself
  • Vandalism and theft

What is not insured?

  • Damage of a temporary nature (trees or shrubs that will recover naturally)
  • Deliberate damage to or destruction of the garden by you or members of your household
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Theft and compensation for plants

Theft or attempted theft is covered only if your garden is part of your main residence.

If damaged trees, hedges or other plants need replacing, we will replace them with similar young plants.

The loss of value due to the difference in age with the similar young plants is covered up to a maximum of 1 000 euros per plant.

The total compensation per claim is 60 000 euros.

Optional: Swimming pool insurance (not for flats)

Swimming pool insurance

We cover damage to your swimming pool and its accessories.

What is insured?

  • Your outdoor swimming pool or swimming pond and even the water
  • Jacuzzis
  • Swimming pool pumps, taps, heat pumps, filters, solar collectors and jet streams
  • Lighting, panelling, roller covers, screens and covers
  • Terrace and shower system near your swimming pool

All the accessories and accoutrements to your pool are insured at their full value, including against theft. This means we fully compensate any loss and/or damage.

The swimming pools must be dug into the plot of land belonging to your home. Above-ground pools are only covered if they are constructed from hard materials.

What is not insured?


  • To your property as a result of your use of such property
  • Caused by cleaning, processing or repair
  • Covered by the warranty or a maintenance contract;
  • Caused by corrosion, wear and tear, discolouration, contamination or other gradual damage resulting from exposure to slow-acting influences
  • Caused by peeling, scratches, dents or stains
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Optional: Soil remediation insurance (not for flats)

Soil remediation insurance

If you use fuel oil to heat your home, you are personally responsible for checking the tank on a regular basis and for soil decontamination following contamination.

More than 3% of tanks start leaking at some point, often caused by rust. However, contamination may also occur while refilling the tank. You will also be responsible for covering the cost of the soil decontamination, i.e. the process of cleaning the contaminated land.

Only fuel oil tanks built less than 40 years ago and with a maximum capacity of 20 000 litres are eligible.

The total compensation per claim is 60 000 euros.

What is insured?

We cover the risk as well as the practical organisation of the compulsory soil decontamination.

We send an assessor to

  • Determine the nature and seriousness of the contamination
  • Take measures to limit the consequences
  • Inform you of the statutory procedures relating to soil contamination
  • Help you with any formalities to be completed

We arrange to have decontamination works carried out if the contamination is so serious that you are required by law to have the soil decontaminated.

What is not insured?

  • Contamination that already existed when the cover was taken out
  • Costs borne by the government or another body for the decontamination of contaminated soil
  • The possible reduction in value of the contaminated soil
  • Pollution and contamination caused by natural disasters
The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

Optional: Builder's insurance

This temporary cover protects you if you're planning to build or renovate.


  • Theft of, or damage to, insured property on the worksite
  • Accident during the works
  • Contractor or architect going bankrupt or otherwise ceasing work

Not covered

  • Work impacting the stability and load-bearing structure of the construction. Roofing work involving a naked flame, unless carried out by a contractor or qualified professional
  • Damage to structures, or parts of structures, designated for demolition or replacement
  • Accidents subject to the Belgian Workers’ Compensation Act or corresponding foreign legislation

The complete list of exclusions can be found in the general terms and conditions.

This policy can be extended to include the following cover:

  • Your liability for loss or damage sustained by third parties during the construction or renovation works
  • Your insurance obligations as stipulated in the specifications

Our insurance experts are ready to help you if you would like to take out this insurance.

Looking to insure your second residence?

Questions about your Home Insurance?

Good to know

KBC Home insurance for owners may include one or more of the following types of insurance cover: home insurance, home contents insurance,  theft insurance for home contents, swimming pool insurance, garden insurance and soil decontamination insurance. These are forms of property damage insurance. These forms of insurance cover are intended for owners-residents of private homes who do not use their home for commercial activities or liberal professions.

  • This product is governed by the laws of Belgium.
  • The different forms of cover in this policy apply for a term of one year and will be tacitly renewed, unless the policy is terminated no later than three months before the principal renewal date.
  • Your intermediary is the first point of contact for any complaints you may have. If no agreement can be reached, please contact KBC Complaints Management, Brusselsesteenweg 100, 3000 Leuven, complaints@kbc.be, tel. 016 43 25 94. If you cannot find a suitable solution, you can contact the Belgian insurance industry’s ombudsman service: Ombudsman van de Verzekeringen, de Meeûssquare 35, 1000 Brussels, info@ombudsman.as, www.ombudsman.as. This does not affect your legal rights.

Contact your insurance expert or visit our website to request a quotation for KBC Home insurance for owners.

KBC Home insurance for owners is a product provided by KBC Insurance NV, Professor Roger Van Overstraetenplein 2, 3000 Leuven, Belgium.

VAT BE 0403.552.563, RLP Leuven, IBAN BE43 7300 0420 0601, BIC KREDBEBB.

Company licensed by the National Bank of Belgium, de Berlaimontlaan 14, 1000 Brussels, Belgium, for all classes of insurance under code 0014 (Royal Decree of 4 July 1979, Belgian Official Gazette of 14 July 1979).

Member of the KBC group.

Read this information carefully before taking out this insurance

Calculate the price of your Home Insurance

Calculate your premium in 3 steps
Purchase your insurance online now
Your Home Insurance can take effect the very next day