The company number is a bit like an individual’s national registration number. It is assigned at the 'birth' of a company and remains the same for its lifetime. You also have to state this number on all your official business documents.
How to apply for a company number?
You will be assigned a company number when you register your company with ‘the Crossroads Bank for Enterprises’ (CBE) database. Registration can very easily be arranged through UNIZO or Liantis.
You should bring the following with you:
- When registering with the CBE, you must have your ID card to prove you are a Belgian national
- If you are applying for a company number for the construction sector, you must have a professional knowledge certificate and also be able to demonstrate this knowledge (applies to electricians, plasterers, joiners, etc.)
The requirement to hold a 'Basic knowledge of business management' certificate has been abolished. See why.
Different application processes for setting up a sole trader and a company
The procedure for obtaining a company number when setting up a company is not the same as when setting up a sole-trader business. For a sole trader, you follow the procedure set out above.
- For a company, you obtain the company number through the clerk's office at the commercial court where you deposit the deed of incorporation
- The commercial court also arranges registration with the CBE
- The only thing you then have to do is go to the CBE in person to complete the details
Your company number is also your VAT number
- Contact KBC Brussels Live by phone, chat or WhatsApp
- Get help with our digital services
- Find our phone numbers and opening hours
Last published on: 08-06-2022
Proof of professional knowledge in the construction industry.
For specific professions in the construction sector, you must submit proof of professional knowledge. You can prove your professional knowledge through certificates and diplomas or through practical experience.
What grants and support measures are available for starter businesses?
Did you know you that various grants and support measures from the government are available to you?
Can my parents lend me money to put into my business?
Are you going to start your own business? Then you could use some financial help. For example, from your parents. But is that allowed?