How can you safely receive payments to your business during the coronavirus crisis?
That way there’s no physical contact and your customers touch your
payment terminal’s keypad as little as possible.
Ask your customers to hold their card close to the contactless
payment symbol on your payment terminal for a few seconds (there’s no
need to touch it).
They don’t need to enter their PIN for payments of 50 euros or less, so they don’t have to touch any keys. However, they’ll need to enter it if what they’re buying costs over 50 euros.
The limit for contactless payments without a PIN has been temporarily
raised to 50 euros due to the coronavirus
crisis. If your customers make a number of consecutive, PINless
contactless payments for more than 100 euros (for instance, 10 euros +
45 euros + 25 euros + 25 euros), they’ll have to insert their card
into the payment terminal and enter their PIN to pay for the last
Can any customer pay by contactless?
Your customers can pay without touching a payment terminal if they
have a debit or credit card with the contactless logo on it (four
If it doesn’t work, they may need to activate their card’s contactless feature (they might have to contact their bank for this).
Don’t have a payment terminal?
Apply for one easily now. Note that delivery may be delayed due to the current Covid-19 situation.
Your customers can pay you in a number of ways on their mobile phone by scanning a QR code or using several other methods.
2.1 QR code payments
You customers can pay you on their phone using our KBC Brussels Mobile app or the Payconiq by Bancontact app. Here’s how it works:
• Display a QR code at your till where it can be easily seen
• Ask your customers to scan the QR code with their phone
• Get them to confirm payments by entering a PIN on their phone
Not yet offering your customers Payconiq as a way to pay? Apply for Payconiq now.
2.2 Other payment methods
Your customers can also pay you in other ways like the Google Pay
app for Android phones. All they have to do is briefly hold their
phone close to your payment terminal until their phone beeps or
vibrates to confirm payment. Your terminal also tells them that
If your customers have a Garmin or Fitbit smartwatch, they just have
to hold it close to the contactless reader on your payment terminal
for a few seconds (there’s no need to touch it) and enter their PIN to
A few more tips
Display health & safety information at the entrance to your business, including these tips:
- Stay at a safe distance from others (at least 1.5 metres)
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze
- Avoid touching your face while shopping
- Touch only items you want to buy
- Wipe down payment terminal keypads thoroughly with a disinfecting wipe (then bin it) before entering your PIN
- Disinfect your phone’s screen regularly
- Shop online as much as possible
- Stay at home to save lives
Many of the tips above apply to you and your business too. You should also:
- Offer disinfectant wipes next to your payment terminal
- Keep your counter and worktop as clear as possible to make it easier to clean
- Remind visitors to your pharmacy of the most important hygiene measures (including washing hands, keeping a distance, coughing and sneezing hygiene, and staying indoors when symptoms occur).